[PD] UI developer volunteering to help - more suggestions

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu May 15 19:28:33 CEST 2008

On May 15, 2008, at 5:10 PM, marius schebella wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I am thinking of creating 'startup.pd', which would be a pd patch
>> that is autmoatically loaded by Pd when it is started.  Then
>> people  could configure their own settings in the form of a Pd
>> patch, for  things that are more complicated than the preferences
>> allow.
>
> I am not sure, if this is really a good solution, it could conflict
> with the -open statement or patches that people already use on
> startup.
> what you want to achieve is really more a settings issue, that has
> to be set once, but you don't want an annoying startup patch
> everytime.
> I am thinking of other programs, where you want to set your own
> environment, and how that is handled.
> some programs open up a default new canvas (word, blender...), some
> show up an "assistant" that asks you what you want to do (?...),
> but none opens up a document just for settings.
> maybe your startup.pd should be a patch, called settings.pd and
> will open when you chose it from the menu - "workspace settings".
> but write to a settings file.
> maybe people want different settings for different patches, then
> the individual settings should be loadable with a [patchsettings
> theme1] abstraction that you throw into your patch and the argument
> refers to a "pd style sheet".
> marius.

startup.pd would just a way to load/save settings like any other.  It
could be easily optional, so if there was no startup.pd, it wouldn't
do anything.  I would make it load invisibly, or perhaps it would be
embedded in the Pd window... just ideas at the this point.D

----

"Free software means you control what your computer does. Non-free
software means someone else controls that, and to some extent
controls you." - Richard M. Stallman