[PD] install pd-ext from .deb?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat May 17 12:01:13 CEST 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 10:37 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> João Pais wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> So I wanted to ask:
>>
>> - which is the best way to install the new pd version? or is there
>> a way
>> to add a repository where the newest version is available, so that
>> synaptic updates it automatically?
>
> i don't think so.
> it might be a good idea.
>

>> - Is it possible to install pd-ext where the program already is,
>> usr/local/bin/pd?
>
> .deb packages SHOULD NOT install to /usr/local (afair; i cannot
> give you
> any RFC/guideline/bestpractice that confirms this but you should be
> able
> to find something in the wide,wide,web)
>
> so "just" installing the package SHOUT install to /usr/lib
> you can however manually extract the content of the package using
> % dpkg -x Pd-*.deb /extraction/path
>
> so you could install the package manually to /usr/local
> it is not recommended however
>

>> - if pd-van (puredata) and pd-ext are different programs, why is
>> the new
>> .deb file colliding with 'puredata', that is, pd-van?
>
> because they are not totally different programs.
> the idea is, that you can use one as a drop-in replacement for the
> other: if you have either pd-vanilla (pacakge "puredata") or pd-
> extended
> installed, you can just run /usr/bin/pd to launch a Pd.
>
> your package-manager should handle the dependencies/conflicts
> correctly,
> that is: ask you if you want to uninstall the "puredata" package when
> you try to install the "pd-extended" package.

I recently added the conflict with 'puredata' and it seems that
GDebi, the GUI .deb installer, doesn't really handle it well.  It
just gives you an error about the conflict, but doesn't seem to allow
you to uninstall 'puredata'.  Ideally, there would be a smoother way
to handle this, but I wonder if it is something that can be done by
editing the package description (control/debian)

>> - I have already changed some files / made copies of them in the same
>> folder. In case I install the new version on the same folder, will
>> only
>> repeated files be overwritten? (f.e., "default.pdsettings" will be
>> for
>> sure overwritten, but "default.pdsettings_backup" on the same
>> folder won't
>> disappear?)
>
> if it does overwrite a configuration-file without asking you, then
> this
> is clearly a bug.

dpkg should handle all that, it works for all other packages.  It'll
prompt you if you want to overwrite, and it'll save the overwritten
version as .dpkg-old or someting like that.

.hc