[PD] help files was: Re: call for testing on the nightly builds!

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat May 17 18:03:07 CEST 2008

On May 17, 2008, at 5:50 PM, Enrique Erne wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> There is much that can and should be done.  Here's some ideas
>> ranked into of difficulty:
>> - file a bug report when a help patch is not working
>> - write and improve help patches, and submit them to the patch
>> tracker
>
> is there a convention about how to make it work? i.e. should one
> use declare, import or namespace prefix?
>
> i guess all help-files that are not loaded on default would need a
> declare/import/or-namespace in order to work...
>
> i want to contribute and help to make "all"/more helpfiles work. i
> know there is pddp but afaik it does not solve the declare/import/
> or-namespace problem.
>
> could all developers express their opinion and agree on how to make
> all helpfiles work? :)

Starting with the PDDP template is a good place to start:

http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/doc/pddp/
templates/

> i'm not a developer but i would vote for declare
> i.e. [declare -stdlib mrpeach] to packOSC-help.pd
> then it would work with pd vanilla too.

The declare/namespace/import stuff is still very undefined, so I
think some experiementation would be good.  I think you should go
ahead and try it using what you propose.  That will be a good test
case.  Then we'll figure out what works best.

Personally, I would use namespace prefixes:   [mrpeach/packOSC].
This will make more sense when there are libraries organized around
concepts rather than authors.  So something like [osc/packOSC]

>> - add a search pane to the help panel
>
> is this done in tcl/tk? is there any documentation about that on
> puredata.info?

It is done however you want to, more or less, but I think a pure Tcl
solution would be possible, and perhaps easiest.

.hc

>> - help design and code a library format that bundles
>> objectclasses, helpfiles, manuals, examples, etc then write code
>> to index it all, and create a GUI to navigate that content
>> At this point, I think it is mostly a waste of time to do constant
>> little workarounds like moving around objects.  We should be
>> putting our scarce resources towards real improvements, not
>> temporary fixes, IMHO.
>> .hc

----

publicity.          - Bill Moyers