[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

David Golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Sun May 18 09:46:00 CEST 2008

A note on the latest changes: I removed all the list manipulation buttons
and added the following bindings:

- The list items can be re-ordered by drag-and-drop.
- Clicking on a list item allows you to edit it.
- Clicking anywhere else in the listbox allows you to add a new list item.
- You can also traverse the list using up and down arrow keys, then press
"Enter" to change the selected item.
- Press "Delete" to delete the currently selected list item.

I kept around the "New..." button, since it may not be immediately obvious
to newbies how to add new things to the list.

I also removed the "Save all settings" button and folded its action in to
the "Apply" command (and, by extension, the OK command).  I played around
with trying to get an in-place editable listbox control for the Startup
dialog, but to no avail - it's apparently no trivial task in Tcl/Tk.
Perhaps for a future revision.  However, the popup dialog functions
effective the same, as "Enter" will submit your edit and "Esc" will cancel;
once you get used to it it shouldn't be much different.

I'm also now centering the dialog windows on the screen.  I'd like to do
this also (especially) for the "Properties" dialogs that are used to edit
GUI controls.  Tk like to try and "cascade" new dialogs as they appear; this
is too clever by half, and really annoying once if you do a lot of editing.
But I've only tested this centering behavior on my own Macbook 15" screen,
so it would be great if others could verify it's still usable on other
screen sizes.

One other thing: these dialogs can now be resized, but they appear at their
minimum size, so you can't shrink them any further (you can only expand
them).

Please let me know what you think and as always let me know if you run into
any trouble!

Thanks,
David