[PD] help files was: Re: call for testing on the nightly builds!

Enrique Erne enrique at netpd.org
Sun May 18 11:39:18 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On May 17, 2008, at 5:50 PM, Enrique Erne wrote:
>
>> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>>> There is much that can and should be done.  Here's some ideas ranked
>>> into of difficulty:
>>> - file a bug report when a help patch is not working
>>> - write and improve help patches, and submit them to the patch tracker
>>
>> is there a convention about how to make it work? i.e. should one use
>> declare, import or namespace prefix?
>>
>> i guess all help-files that are not loaded on default would need a
>> declare/import/or-namespace in order to work...
>>
>> i want to contribute and help to make "all"/more helpfiles work. i
>> know there is pddp but afaik it does not solve the
>> declare/import/or-namespace problem.
>>
>> could all developers express their opinion and agree on how to make
>> all helpfiles work? :)
>
> Starting with the PDDP template is a good place to start:
>
> http://pure-data.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pure-data/trunk/doc/pddp/templates/
>

>> i'm not a developer but i would vote for declare
>> i.e. [declare -stdlib mrpeach] to packOSC-help.pd
>> then it would work with pd vanilla too.
>
> The declare/namespace/import stuff is still very undefined, so I think
> some experiementation would be good.  I think you should go ahead and
> try it using what you propose.  That will be a good test case.  Then
> we'll figure out what works best.
>
> Personally, I would use namespace prefixes:   [mrpeach/packOSC].  This
> will make more sense when there are libraries organized around concepts
> rather than authors.  So something like [osc/packOSC]

from a user point of view organizing libraries around concepts would be
a huge gain. but let's face it: will that every be the case?
(rhetorical, but still i would be very happy if somebody has an answer:) )

i just found that:
http://puredata.info/dev/PdLibraries
http://puredata.info/dev/PdNamespaces

for now i don't know how to help and make the helpfiles work. :(