[PD] UI developer volunteering to help

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue May 20 12:00:46 CEST 2008

Just tried your new version, very nice, I think it's sorted, except
one tiny bug with the resizing of "Add new startup command".  I think
you'll want to set a minimum window width, since you can resize it
smaller and make the OK button disappear.

You might look into the Tile/ttk widgets, they are now included in
Tcl/Tk 8.5.  I'd like to use 8.5 for Pd-extended 0.41, so they would
be there.  For example, a ttk::notebook could be used to host all of
the pref panes into a single window.

About the error, I just dropped your u_main.tk into Pd-vanilla
0.41-4, so that uses the version of Tcl/Tk included with Mac OS X,
8.4.7.  I have Tcl/Tk 8.4.18 installed, it might be using that.  But
I definitely don't have 8.5  Here's the error:

Startup panel:

can't use empty string as operand of "+"
can't use empty string as operand of "+"
     while executing
"expr {$height + $top}"
     (procedure "ScrollBox::dbl_click" line 8)
     invoked from within
"ScrollBox::dbl_click .gfxstub5b1230 dlg_Startup::edit
dlg_Startup::add 65 45"
     (command bound to event)

Path pane:

can't use empty string as operand of "+"
can't use empty string as operand of "+"
     while executing
"expr {$height + $top}"
     (procedure "ScrollBox::dbl_click" line 8)
     invoked from within
"ScrollBox::dbl_click .gfxstub5b1930 dlg_Path::edit dlg_Path::add 81 42"
     (command bound to event)

.hc

On May 20, 2008, at 8:32 AM, David Golightly wrote:

> [...]
> does, even though it looks a little strange.  You can still use the
> keyboard to navigate: down, down, enter, type, enter, up, enter,
> esc...  Just think of it as inline listbox editing with extra
> window chrome :)
>

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>
> Oops, found a little bug:  double-clicking on an empty cell through
> up an error dialog.
>
> Also, an idea: if you just draw that popup entry box just below the
> listbox with the OK button, add a Cancel button, then use "pack
> forget" when the user hits OK or Cancel.  Just a thought.  That
> mini-popup window is the only thing about these panels that is
> weird, I guess that why I still am thinking about how to ditch it.
>
> .hc
>
> On May 19, 2008, at 7:09 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> Looks good to me.  This is already a massive improvement over what
>> is there.  I don't know if you are sick of working on it, but I
>> thought I'd throw a couple of minor ideas:
>>
>> - it would be useful if the "startup flags" entry widget would
>> stretch with the resizing window.  Then you could see more of
>> those flags.
>>
>> - perhaps the windows should open above the Pd window instead of
>> the center of the screen?  I think you can get that info using
>> [winfo rootx .] and [winfo rooty .]
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On May 18, 2008, at 7:26 PM, David Golightly wrote:
>>
>>> As requested, I've put back the "Edit" and "Delete" buttons and
>>> added BackSpace as a Delete event for Mac OS X.  I couldn't get
>>> Cmd-BackSpace to fire effectively, but perhaps someone knows
>>> something I don't about getting that to work.
>>>

>>> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>>> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Very nice!  The mouse/keyboard interactive is well done, I only
>>> worry that the buttons are now too sparse.  I think delete and
>>> edit buttons would still be useful, maybe people don't use
>>> keyboard shortcuts at all.
>>>
>>> Also, on Mac OS X, Delete is not commonly used, so it would be
>>> good to also have BackSpace work for deleting.  Or maybe Cmd-
>>> BackSpace since that is what is used for deleting in the Finder.
>>>

>>> .hc

>>> --------
>>>
>>> I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
>>> during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle
>>> man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      -
>>> General Smedley Butler
>>>

>>> <u_main.tk>

>> -------
>>
>> "[W]e have invented the technology to eliminate scarcity, but we
>> are deliberately throwing it away to benefit those who profit from
>> scarcity."        -John Gilmore

> ------
>
> "It is convenient to imagine a power beyond us because that means
> we don't have to examine our own lives.", from "The Idols of

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams