[PD] [GEM] pix_write option for rendering a texture only

Patrice Colet pat at mamalala.org
Sat May 24 14:18:30 CEST 2008

  Hi, it's possible to render on a video file the texture drawn into a
geo object, but the quality is always poor whatever codec we use (even
uncompressed files), that can be useful for having poor animated
textures, but anyway the quality is never as good as we can get when we
render into picture files (isn't it?).

  We can render framebuffer into picture files with the help of
[pix_write], but I don't know any simple solution yet to render directly
into pict files what we can get with the 'unstable' [pix_record].

  The only *multiplatform* solution I'm thinking about is rendering the
framebuffer into tiff files, cropping and transforming them to a lighter
file format with imagemagicks controlled by a script file loaded with
[popen], for having my texture rendered into a decent quality, that's
quite complicated.

  So my question that will certainly stay unanswered is/

  What about adding a simple option to [pix_write] for rendering into
picture files only the texture created by a gemchain instead of the
framebuffer?

  Many thanks if you have a simple answer or another solution.