[PD] [GEM] pix_write option for rendering a texture only

chris clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Sat May 24 21:20:48 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Patrice Colet <pat at mamalala.org> wrote:

>   Hi, it's possible to render on a video file the texture drawn into a
> geo object, but the quality is always poor whatever codec we use (even
> uncompressed files), that can be useful for having poor animated
> textures, but anyway the quality is never as good as we can get when we
> render into picture files (isn't it?).

The contents of the framebuffer are exactly what you see onscreen.  I don't
understand what is 'poor' about the image being read back.

>  We can render framebuffer into picture files with the help of
> [pix_write], but I don't know any simple solution yet to render directly
> into pict files what we can get with the 'unstable' [pix_record].

pix_record on OSX is extremely well tested.  I've recorded in excess of one
million files with it.

>  So my question that will certainly stay unanswered is/
>
>  What about adding a simple option to [pix_write] for rendering into
> picture files only the texture created by a gemchain instead of the
> framebuffer?

pix_write should just write the pix buffer to a file and not also have
pix_snap functionality embedded in it.  Unfortunately doing this would break
a lot of patches.  Maybe pix_image_write would be an acceptable option.