[PD] Getting Sysex output to work on Linux

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Sun May 25 19:20:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

I am hoping someone can give me advise on getting my Ubuntu box to send
sysex message over MIDI.

Some questions..

1)
What is the proper format for messages to go into [midiout] or [sysexout]?

Do I make a list of numbers such as
[247 NN .. .. .. NN 240<

or do I need to serialize them as [sysexin] receives each byte as
individual messages?

2)
with. Although I use Debian & Ubuntu daily, unfortunately I am not
fluent in developing practices enough to design my own workarounds (at
least not yet).

The closest I could get was the understanding that there is no method to
get Sysex output to work other than patching Pd so a different kind of
function in ALSA-API will be used. (also that the current releases have
a 20 byte limit. This is probably not my case though)

If current pd-extended (which I am comfortable with, either stable or
testing) needs patching in order for midiout to work, I would highly
appreciate specific procedures on how to get it going, hopefully on a
fresh installation of Ubuntu 8.04 or 7.10.

Any type of help appreciated.
Thanks.

--
David Shimamoto