[PD] Getting Sysex output to work on Linux

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon May 26 07:58:10 CEST 2008

Hallo,
Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 11:12:24AM -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> > Is it out of the question simply to use the OSS MIDI API?  That should
> > be the default, and it's much less buggy than the ALSA one.  (Apparently,
> > though, there's sometimes a good reason to use teh ALSA one instead, I
> > remember vaguely.)
>
> I think that the good reason to use ALSA is that OSS is even more
> deprecated than [namecanvas], in that everyone is switching away from it
> as fast as possible.

Pd is not really using the "OSS Midi API" anyway. It's using raw midi
devices when started as -oss, and these raw midi devices are available
in OSS and in pure ALSA as well, in ALSA they are called e.g.
/dev/snd/midiC0D0

"pd -alsa" is using the ALSA sequencer API, the equivalent with OSS
would be /dev/sequencer, but Pd never supported that. ALSA sequencer
makes interconnecting applications much easier that with raw midi
devices. (I once wrote a howto to explain the latter, it's overly
complicated.) I've never used sysex, though.

Ciao
--
Frank Barknecht