[PD] Getting Sysex output to work on Linux

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Mon May 26 15:11:53 CEST 2008

Ken,

> OSS has, IIRC, been deprecated for many years now.
>
> ALSA should be the correct one to use on Linux.

Deprecated in terms of people abandoning it, or is it literally not
functioning any more?

To be specific, what I am trying to get working is a Korg padKontrol
which is basically a USB-MIDI device. As soon at it is connected to my
Ubuntu box, it is recognized as an Alsa-MIDI device. When routing this
to Pd, only Sysex messages are dropped. (No response when routing
directly to kmidimon either)

Since Miller had suggested its usage, I was hoping OSS to work but not
quite yet.
I understand that this classic API takes a different approach from ALSA
and expects applications to route directly to each other. The list of
MIDI devices that Pd offers to connect to is simply blank.
Is there such thing as a wrapper that lets Alsa-MIDI devices be
recognized as OSS devices?

--
David Shimamoto