[PD] Getting Sysex output to work on Linux

PSPunch shima at pspunch.com
Mon May 26 20:22:08 CEST 2008

Martin,

> I'm looking at the source code in svn, assuming you use [midiout] to
> send sysex.
> The midiout object has one method, for floats : midiout_float(), in
> x_midi.c, line 681.
> It just calls outmidi_byte() in s_midi.c, line 239. If Pd was compiled
> with USEAPI_ALSA defined, then outmidi_byte calls sys_alsa_putmidibyte()
> in s_midi_alsa.c line 234, otherwise it calls sys_putmidibyte() in
> s_midi_oss.c line 182.

Do you mean that theoretically, Pd + ALSA MIDI should be working?
hmmm...

According to IOhannes,

> the problem is rather, that ALSA sequencer does not support MIDI in a
> way Pd would like it, mainly: no raw midi.

Also I think one of the recent posts which I cannot locate now,
mentioned that it was just a matter of Pd using a function in ALSA API
other than what is used at the moment.

Or has this been fixed and is it me not doing things right?

> These functions just send a single byte. There is no interpretation
> done, no F0 or F7 are added. Each byte is sent separately through the
> port without being queued.

Ooops, I had this wrong. I did have it in the correct order in my patch.

--
David Shimamoto