[PD] OSX cpu usage

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Tue May 27 09:24:41 CEST 2008

Hi Matt,

both problems are well known. On OSX, the Coreaudio interface is quite
CPU hungry. Using Jack is recommended. Myself and others have posted
several times about this.

And as far as the GUI goes, I've been bringing this issue up for years
now. You can check the archives yourself and see. In short, PD's GUI is
slower on OSX than any other OS. The solutions which are often suggested
to me when I complain about this are a) use less GUI objects, b) become
a developer and fix it yourself and c) use Linux. I chose the last, and
found that my patches ran 50% better using Linux on the same Powerbook.

best,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista