[PD] [openpanel]/[savepanel] directory, [cd]

zmoelnig at iem.at zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 29 08:45:24 CEST 2008

Quoting Rich E <reakinator at gmail.com>:

> Which brought me to another question; is there any way currently to do a
> 'cd' or 'pwd' in pd? I tried:
>
> [pwd (
> |
> [shell]
>
> but this has the same problem of openpanel and savepaned; it gives you the
> path that pd was opened from.

seems to be what i would have expected...if [openpanel] thinks that
the pwd is X, why should $(pwd) think it differently.

> [cd /home/full/path/to/patch (
> |
> [shell]
>
> doesn't seem to do anything, and would be a workaround if it did.

it does and it has been discussed multiple times on this list:
sending a command to the [shell] will start a new process (shell), run
the command and quit. like it should be, child processes do not modify
parent processes and siblings.
you could as well do: start a new xterm; notice that you are in
${HOME}; run "cd /tmp"; close the xterm; start another xterm, notice
that you are still in ${HOME}

i am not sure what you would like to achieve with [pwd] or [cd]
that is: if you could manage with [pwd] and [cd], why can't you do so
with the current absolute/relative path in [openpanel]?

fmgads.
IOhannes