[PD] netpd broken?

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu May 29 13:02:54 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 20:42 +1000, Max Neupert wrote:
> Am 2008-05-29 um 19:54 schrieb Roman Haefeli:
>
> > On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 19:27 +1000, Max Neupert wrote:
> >> servus roman, list,
> >>
> >> i wanted to demonstrate netpd today here in melbourne and failed.
> >> on a intel mac os x 10.5:
> >> with a fresh pd-extended 0.4xx and downloaded netpd.zip i can open
> >> _chat.pd. then when i click on creator additionally a blank patch
> >> pops up called "pd cr.singletons" the console spills out:
> >>
> >>   netclient
> >> ... couldn't create
> >> error: inlet: expected '' but got 'connect'
> >> ... you might be able to track this down from the Find menu.
> >> error: pd-cr.singletons: no such object
> >>
> >> i can reproduce the same on my own machine os x 10.4 ppc.
> >
> > [netclient] is part of maxlib. afaik, it should be found in
> > extra/maxlib. netpd/_chat.pd has a [declare] in order to add the
> > path of
> > the maxlib folder. if it doesn't load, either [declare] on those
> > versions of pd-extended are broken or netclient was moved. i'll have a
> > look at that soon. probably it is just a matter of using an
> > appropriate
> > [declare].
>
> ok, with [import maxlib] i could make the netclient object.
>
> but the rest of the problem is still there: when i open the creator
> an empty patch pops up called "pd cr.singletons" and creator doesn't
> work properly. i think it is probably that i need to declare the
> "include" direcory..

exactly.. actually it should be [declare]d already (i checked and it is
in _chat.pd).
probably you could check, if it is working, by creating a subpatch
somewhere in the _chat.pd patch and then trying to create [netpd-r] (or
any other abstractions from netpd/includes). if it fails, then for some
reason [declare -path] doesn't work on your version of pd-extended. a
recent build most likely already has fixed the issue. i haven't kept
track of what works in which version, but i think, with the coming
release of 0.40-extended many things should be solved.

roman