[PD] default Save As location (was: [openpanel]/[savepanel]directory, [cd])

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu May 29 18:31:08 CEST 2008

>>Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>What folder were you working in when you create a new patch?  What if
>there are no other patches open?  What if there are many patches open  in
>many different folders?

I usually open pd from inside ~/pd_patches and have subdirectories in there.
If I make a new patch it's often interacting with another patch already in
the same folder.

>Before, on Mac OS X at least, it defaulted to "/".  I've changed that  to
>"~", which I think is a lot more useful.  Perhaps it could be like  this:
>
>- if no other patches open, then "~".
>- if other patches are open, then use the folder of the current top  window

Yes, that's better, using "~" as default. And any new patch is most likely
to be saved in the folder of the topmost already-open patch. And the default
directory should also be a specifiable option in the preferences somewhere,
not hard-coded, in the interest of total control.

Martin