[PD] default Save As location (was: [openpanel]/[savepanel]directory, [cd])

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu May 29 23:26:08 CEST 2008

Hallo,

> The problem here is that most people do not start Pd from the command
> line.  With Pd-extended, it is now included in the standard free
> desktop menus (only tested on GNOME, should work on KDE), so I'll bet
> most people use that rather than the command line (I do on Ubuntu).

The HOME directory already is the default directory on Linux with
Gnome/KDE/Blackbox or whatever, as it's the working directory when
starting Pd from the manager. No need for any changes AFAIK.

I'm the wrong person to comment on MS-Windows or Mac, as I don't use
these and don't care even the teeny-tiniest bit about what happens to
Pd on these systems, but please leave it on Linux as it is the
standard here. All other apps like Vim, Emacs, Gimp, Firefox use the
`pwd` as default and I can't see why Pd should behave differently.

If you want to confirm this yourself, try the following with the gimp:

$ cd /tmp
$ gimp &

Then make a new file, select "Save" and it will give you "/tmp" as
first directory choice.

Ciao