[PD] pd not starting on winXP

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Fri May 30 17:50:25 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 15:44 +0200, Enrico Costanza wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> I tried to disable the firewall, but that did not make a difference.
>
> I installed the latest version (0.40.3) but I still got the same:
>
> pdtk_post {input channels = 2, output channels = 2}
> set pd_whichapi 0
> set pd_whichmidiapi 3
> Pd version 0.40-3extended-20080530
> compiled 05:58:20 May 30 2008
> port 5400
> Waiting for connection request...
>
> I found this FAQ:
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq
> but I could not see anything related to localhost. The closest thing I
> found was the loopback network interface. I tried to install that on my
> windows machine, as described on http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839013
> but it did not change anything.
>
> Any ideas?

sorry, i don't have any new ideas.

afaik, the problem regarding missing loopback device happened only on
ubuntu machines (hardy or gutsy, cannot recall exactly), whereas on
windows this kind of issues was related to restricted firewall settings
most of the times. afaik, a windows installation usually comes with a
loopback device already, there is no need to install it separately.

your problem strongly looks like a networking problem and i am quite
surprised, that disabling the firewall didn't help. just to make sure,
that not pd is the culprit, but connecting to localhost, you could try
the following:

pd is shipped with additional two tools: pdsend.exe and pdreceive.exe.
start pdreceive from a commandline:

pdreceive.exe 5400

and then try in another cmd to connect to it with pdsend.exe:

pdsend.exe 5400

if connection succeds, everything what you type into the pdsend cmd
should appear in the pdreceive cmd. don't forget to terminate each
message with a ';'.

if this fails, while the firewall is disabled, something else is needs
to be wrong with your network setup. someone with some deeper expertise
in networking on windows might help then.

roman