[PD] [PD-announce] Pd-0.40.3-extended-rc1 released

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jun 4 12:59:33 CEST 2008

For this release, there has been a lot of work in making the GUI and
user experience much more fluid and easy. There is a new visual look
that was designed to make patches more readable. Additionally, lots
of things have been tweaked to make Pd behave more like a normal app.
There has already been a lot of testing on these builds, so it is
getting quite close to a final version. (Debian/PowerPC is missing
now but will come later)

http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html

Here is a partial changelog:

- next visual appearance designed for readability (it can run slower
on machines < 1 GHz)

- default locations for user-installed externals, helpfiles, etc.
  GNU/Linux:  /usr/share/pd and ~/pd
  Mac OS X: /Library/Pd and ~/Library/Pd
  Windows: %ProgramFiles%/Common Files/Pd and %UserProfile%/
Application Data/Pd

- lots of standard key bindings added:
	Enter/Return for OK
	Escape for Cancel
	Ctrl/Cmd-W closes all windows
	on Mac OS X, Cmd-` cycles thru open windows
	on Mac OS X, Cmd-m minimizes windows
	Ctrl/Cmd-R raises/lowers Pd window
	Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-R shrinks/grows Pd window
	Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-L clears Pd window's text console
	Ctrl/Cmd-B opens the Help Browser

- you can now use "~" in all paths to mean home folder, and on
Windows you can use environment variables, lie %UserProfile% in paths

- cut/copy/paste now work directly into text boxes on all platforms

- [declare] and [import] now sorted out for loading, much work needs
to be done before there namespace support is complete

- "File -> Save As" defaults to the Home folder (~/)

- fixed Cut/Copy/Paste for the Pd window's console

- included pgp_opengl aka 3dp on GNU/Linux and Mac OS X

KNOWN BUGS

- check http://puredata.info/dev/bugtracker before reporting bugs

- Escape, Enter, and Ctrl/Cmd-W don't close the Path and Startup
preferences

- pdp_opengl is alpha and will definitely crash Pd

to load it

----

I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and
during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man
for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers.      - General
Smedley Butler