[PD] OSX Intel: status of M-Audio / MOTU multichannel in/out, support?

Collin Oldham coldham at mac.com
Wed Jun 4 21:13:12 CEST 2008

Ok, Damian, in that case, here's the long, sad story:

I bought a firewire 410 three years ago based on my happiness with a
m-audio mobilepre usb, and my need for more ins and outs. First
disappointment was, you can't hot plug it. It must be plugged in at boot
time, or it might fry your firewire. I learned to live with that, and
used it with my G4 iBook on osx 10.3 and 10.4 with Pd and jack and core
audio in various combinations, and it usually worked fine, and was my
main interface for a couple years.

Then I needed to run a patch in Max/MSP runtime, and it could not find
the 410. So I updated the driver. The driver for osx 10.4.11 is _still_
in beta. Hmm. Then the firmware wouldn't upload, so it wouldn't work in
Pd or anything else. So I downgraded, no luck. I eventually did a clean
install of 10.4 and progressively tried each os update with it's
respective driver. No luck. Then my iBook wouldn't boot, then would boot
sometimes and then crash. Good thing I had just made a back up! Replaced
the HD (I'm way OT now!) Same behavior.

Was the problem a flaky iBook all along? Well, I have another G4 iBook,
and I tested with that, and my wife has a MacBook, no luck there either.
Maybe my 410 is just broken. I know there have been some driver issues,
and a long wait for a 10.5 driver. There is no Linux support! I'd like
to test it on a windows machine to see if it works there.

SO, to speak on-topic, it works fine with Pd, if it works at all and
doesn't fry your iBook! ;)  I would just avoid it.

I bought a edirol fa-101, which "just works" with osx and doesn't use a
driver. Hot pluggable too. Has more ins. It is made of metal. Fully
supported on linux (according to the freebob folks, I haven't tried it
there yet.) And it works on the Max/MSP patch that got me started down
this road. It did not resurrect my iBook, (but it can cure lepers ;))

your,
Collin