[PD] Accessing bluetooth devices via [comport]

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Sun Jun 8 13:44:06 CEST 2008

hi ricardo

i am no bluetooth maestro at all, but probably i am able to help you a
bit anyway, since i once did set up a serial connection over bluetooth
with [comport].

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 23:07 -0500, Ricardo Dueñas Parada wrote:
> I'm trying to receive information on pd from my phone
> Nokia E50 over bluetooth.
>
> Can you tell me a little more about it, please?

first of all, this will only work if you really can talk serial to the
device (the phone, in your case). if so, then you need to install the
package 'bluez-utils', but most likely it is already installed. then you
need to edit the file /etc/bluetooth/rfcomm.conf, so that a device node
is created when the computer sees (hears?) your phone:

# example:
#
# this would create the node /dev/rfcomm0
rfcomm0 {
  bind yes;
        # Bluetooth address of the device
        device 5F:E0:00:06:D0:F2;
        # RFCOMM channel for the connection
        channel 1;
        # Description of the connection
        comment "my nokia phone";
}

if the configuration file is correct, you can start the daemon (if it is
not already running):

sudo /etc/init.d/bluez-utils start

(this can be automated to be executed on boot time by creating a symlink
from /etc/rc2.d/S25bluez-utils pointing to /etc/init.d/bluez-utils)

now you are ready to connect to your phone using [comport]:

send a message 'devicename /dev/rfcomm0' to [comport] and you should be
able now to send message from pd to the phone, respectivel receive
messages from it.

this was tested on ubuntu dapper with a sparkfun inertial measurement
unit. i assume, it works the same on a more recent flavor of ubuntu, if
it is not even simpler.

good luck
roman