[PD] 3gp videos with GEM on windows

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon Jun 9 12:39:43 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 11:57 +0200, altern wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using 3gp video with GEM on windows and linux. Under windows XP on
> some machines pix_film does not return the right video length in frames,
> it returns 1, testing with same video and patches in another machine
> returns the right length. Does this sound like some Windows issue? maybe
> some codec that needs to be installed? I need to find a format for video
> that works fine crossplatform.

i don't think, that it's the best idea to use a format like 3gp for use
with Gem. the goals of the 3gp format and working with video in Gem
usually are quite different: 3gp is meant to be a suitable videoformat
for small devices with only low resolution and high compression (it uses
mainly h.263 and h.264 as video codecs), whereas usually with Gem file
size is less important than for instance a fast codec and easy random
access to frames. codecs with highly optimized compression usually work
only when playing forward at single speed because of certain frametypes
that rely on previous and future frames (interframe compression). i
think it is best to not use such a codec when used in Gem, but rather an
intraframe compression based codec, whereas each frame is compressed
separately. from my experience the quicktime mov format with mjpeg
(motion jpeg) works quite well and doesn't have too much cpu overhead.
probably other people have other suggestions. on windows, avi format
with dv codec might be running well (so you don't need to install
quicktime).

roman