[PD] 3gp videos with GEM on windows

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 9 13:09:04 CEST 2008

altern wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am using 3gp video with GEM on windows and linux. Under windows XP on
> some machines pix_film does not return the right video length in frames,
> it returns 1, testing with same video and patches in another machine
> returns the right length. Does this sound like some Windows issue? maybe
> some codec that needs to be installed? I need to find a format for video
> that works fine crossplatform.

is quicktime installed on both machines? which version?
(QuickTime is the preferred video decoder library on w32; if it is not
available it falls back to DirectShow; the libraries might behave
slightly different (though Gem tries hard to make them appear the same)

> i also noticed since i upgraded to latest GEM that the 3pg videos play
> its sound after being loaded. This does not seem to be done via PD
> (sound is off), the sound plays once after the video is loaded. If the
> video being rendered the sounds keeps playing looped but chopped, with
> very short periodical interruptions.

as you are experiencing changes between versions it is always useful if
you can include information about the actual versions you are using (in
both cases); compile date _does_ matter!

anyhow, i thought i had fixed the audio-playback via the quicktime
decoder (no Pd involved) in recent builds (the CVS-commit dates to
2008/05/09)

mgfadr
IOhannes