[PD] Spore [was: TR909 emulation]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Jun 9 16:01:56 CEST 2008

Hallo,
marius schebella hat gesagt: // marius schebella wrote:

> Kyle Klipowicz wrote:
> > Maybe EA had better hire a genuine pro from the pd-list (wink wink).
> >
> > I hope that this thread takes off, since I'm curious what others think
> > on the topic. Spore could be the PR break that Pd has been waiting for!
>
> I also think ea should hire pd pros. they probably alrady get job
> applications... pd and procedural audio generation will also get a push
> from the book that andy is working on. something like the EAPd should
> also exist for non-EA games, there already was a discussion about this...

Note that I didn't intend to run down the work of the Spore Pd team: I
think they did an exceptional work. I'm especially impressed by the
counterpoint abstraction one of the two was talking about. Automatic
counterpoint is a cool idea. Anyone else did something like it? Would
be a great addition to the RTC-lib.

I think, the number of capable Max/MSP users is still higher than the
number of Pd users, and the Spore team clearly showed that they know
their way around and can adapt to Pd's peculiarities. It will be
interesting to see if there will be more Pd jobs in the gaming
industry in the future. (Gaming CEOs take note: I'd be interested!)
The biggest problem probably is, what Andy is fighting for: Audio in
games is not regarded to be on the same level of importance as
graphics. Generally audio/music is created *after* the rest of the
game is almost finished. Quite often the music side even is completly
outsourced. Game designers and audio people working together as
closely as they did with Spore is a rarity (at least outside of the
world of music games like "Rock Band").

Ciao