[PD] Size of a table

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 11 10:03:28 CEST 2008

raul diaz wrote:
> Hi list!
>
> I have a dumb question. What's the best way to get the size of a table?
> Sometimes I load a lot of samples on tables with soundfiler and I would
> like to take the size of each sample as a variable in order to use it
> with phasor + tabread4~.
> Is there any object which gets the size of a table?

well i have a dumb answer: why not use the "length" output of [soundfiler]?

i think that in this case the philosophy of Pd his, that there are 2
ways to change the length of a table: do it interactively (e.g. create a
[table bla 1024] or do it programmatically (e.g. via [; bla resize 216()
in the first case the author of the software is responsible for using
(e.g. "hardcoding") the right table-size throughout there patch, in the
latter case you could just listen to these programmatical changes).
tables suddenly changing there size are beyond Pd :-)

anyhow, having said all that, there are several externals that will give
you the size of a table.
for once there is pix's [arraysize].
and then you could use kludges like [tabdump]->[list length]....

fgmasdr
IOhannes