[PD] Size of a table

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Wed Jun 11 10:38:55 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:03:28AM +0200, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> raul diaz wrote:
> >I have a dumb question. What's the best way to get the size of a table?
> >Sometimes I load a lot of samples on tables with soundfiler and I would
> >like to take the size of each sample as a variable in order to use it
> >with phasor + tabread4~.
> >Is there any object which gets the size of a table?
>
> well i have a dumb answer: why not use the "length" output of [soundfiler]?
>
> i think that in this case the philosophy of Pd his, that there are 2
> ways to change the length of a table: do it interactively (e.g. create a
> [table bla 1024] or do it programmatically (e.g. via [; bla resize 216()
> in the first case the author of the software is responsible for using
> (e.g. "hardcoding") the right table-size throughout there patch, in the
> latter case you could just listen to these programmatical changes).
> tables suddenly changing there size are beyond Pd :-)

There is one situation I have encountered where it would be useful to
have a built in [arraysize]. In some of the s-abstractions such as
[s-samplepiece~] you have to pass in the table name that you'd like the
abstraction to use. This means that at some point the user loads some
audio data into the named table (for example using [s-loader~]) and they
then know the sample table size. When they create the [s-samplepiece~]
playback abstraction they must manually enter the array size as one of
the arguments to the abstraction, along with the table name.
Inefficient.

Best,

Chris.