[PD] inlet and inlet~

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jun 11 14:24:18 CEST 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Matt Barber wrote:

> Is there a way to make an abstraction that has one inlet that takes both
> signal and control messages (like osc~, e.g., or fiddle~ which gets
> audio and setting info, etc.)?

My solution has been to make an external that contains no objectclass and
load it using -lib. It contains this code:

#define ALIAS(y,x) \
 	class_addcreator((t_newmethod)getfn(m,gensym(x)),gensym(y),A_GIMME,0);
t_pd *m = &pd_objectmaker;
ALIAS( "inlet.f","inlet"  );
ALIAS( "inlet.~","inlet~" );

So after that, Pd 0.40 can instantiate it as [inlet.$1]

If you are stuck with Pd 0.39 you will need to swap it around because
[inlet.$1] won't work but [$1.inlet] will.

But this is just an alternative to what Charles Henry said. I prefer mine
because the syntax looks better. Then I pass either "f" or "~" as argument
to an abstraction. I would later add more single-character suffixes such
as "s" and such perhaps, but only to the extent that polymorphism makes
sense - first, an analogy has to be made between two types such that one
behaviour one one type can be likened to one behaviour on the other. From
that point, the two behaviours can be unified, partially or totally, and
then [inlet.$1] (or equivalent) becomes useful.