[PD] MasterOfPrayer

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Thu Jun 12 05:58:29 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 03:36:44PM +0100, Andy Farnell wrote:
> I suppose that question depends on whether they believe in silicon heaven.
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=silicon+heaven

Heheh, and whether they dream of electric sheep.

> Thought provoking though. Does that mean the installation
> is doing voice recog?

No, nothing so sophisticated. The 'Master of Prayer' is reading from a
textfile script and communicating with the others over a LAN using Pd's
netsend/netreceive. The artist, Rodney Glick, specifically chose blue
cables over wifi so that observers were aware that they were
communicating with eachother like that. One thing that he really pushed
for was for the voices to be synthesised each time, not just played back
wav files. So this means that the computers are actually translating the
text into speech on the fly more like humans would. I used Mbrola for
that because it was the only speech sythesiser I could find that would
do the Hebrew language. Moshe, the rabbi, had to spend many hours
transliterating the hebrew prayers into a pseudo-TTS textual language
which is then massaged into .pho files for Mbrola using a Python script
that I wrote. The hebrew text is scrolled along side the strange
transliteration language on the screen as the computers read their
prayers. Apparently the computers have a quite distinctive
French-Israeli accents due to the Mbrola database used. :)

The call and response thing, and the monotone of the computer voices
(which I arranged on the Phrygian Dominant scale) is really quite
spooky to witness. I'll try and get some video of it.

Best,

Chris.