[PD] extended on asus eeePC?

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 21:27:49 CEST 2008

I wouldn't recommend doing it with the default Xandros installation if
you are new to Linux.  It is certainly possible but you have to
customize the repositories first, and then probably you'd want to
permanently enable the advanced mode desktop, both of which require
text editing and command line tweaking.  This might sound like jargon
to you but with a month or so of practice you'll have a lot better
grip on it, we've all been there when we were learning Linux.  There's
stuff you have to understand about repositories, packages,
dependencies, and all of that before you can get a good grasp on how
to install pd extended in a customized Linux distribution like the one
Asus provides.  What would be a better choice would be to switch to
something like eeexubuntu for your os and follow standard
documentation for Ubuntu/Debian based operating systems - that way you
get a good base of how-tos + etc floating around on the 'net in case
you have any questions.

So, there are a few of us using the eeepc on this list (I guess me and
Georg, maybe some others too) but like I said, if you want to be able
to follow the multitude of howtos and troubleshooting guides out there
so you can get your problems resolved faster without having to wait
for the slowbies to answer, you'll be better off getting a standard,
full-functioning OS like eeexubuntu instead of the customized Asus
Xandros.  Check out www.eeeuser.com and read the wiki there - this is
the best site for eeepc related matters and has great howto guides you
can follow.

Good luck!!!
km

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:13 PM, potax flan <potaxpotax at gmail.com> wrote:
> i downloaded Hans' .deb installer but when i run it from the xandros desktop
> (choosing the option "install debian package" or something like that) i get
> an error message and it doesnt go far. both synaptic and apt-get give me a
> non-extended pd to install, which i tried, but i really need extended, as
> all my patches require it at some point.
> can you apt-get install extended? mayb it's just a matter of adding the
> right sources?
> ideas?
>

> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Georg Holzmann <grh at mur.at> wrote:
>>
>> Hallo!
>>
>>> just got a shiny new asus eeePC
>>> i am fairly new to linux, and looking for the easiest most friendly way
>>> to install
>>>  pd-entended (i dont need it to be the latest version, althou that'd be
>>> great).
>>> tips for a linux newbie?
>>
>> It is just the same as on every other computer.
>> I use (k)ubuntu on the eee, so all dependencies are easy to install ...
>>
>> However, I don't know if it is that easy on the default Xandros OS, you
>> might not have all latest libraries, but you could try it !
>>
>> LG
>> Georg

++++
http://art.sewanee.edu/mccoy