[PD] Teaching Pd to Children

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 22:19:01 CEST 2008

Lau I think ( I do hope I'm right) you may have meant to
reply list, so returning + list.

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 22:11:44 +0200
"Lau Llobet" <socunasindria at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would take advantage of the easy interface with midi and audio.
>
> I would start with adc and dac and let them play with the feedback
>
> Then with some headphones let them play with stereo  : one sings to a mic,
> the other sends data to one or other channel and a third one listens to the
> headphones
>
> Plug a Vslider to an osc and phasor so they can make it whisle
>
> Use fiddle and send the note to a midiout
>
> If you have a midi interface the thing can get funnier !

Oh yes, now I remember, a lot of fun we had with USB toys, joysticks,
steering wheels etc. Und of course now you have Wii controllers.

Man, I wish we did maths that way when I was a kid!

> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 8:59 PM, Andy Farnell <padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> > Seems like a great opportunity for lots of fun Kyle.
> >
> > I suppose you might start with simple linear data flows
> > in the message domain. Examples like
> >
> > Convert Fahrenheit to Celsius
> > Convert Dollars to Euros
> >
> > Then plot them into graphs
> >
> > Up to then you can avoid triggers/ eval orders - once you
> > have covered triggers you can do
> >
> > Find the average of N numbers
> > Vector magnitude sqrt(x*x + y*y*)
> >
> > If you hide the innards of GEM and just call it a 'graphics
> > output routine' you could do equations of circle etc.
> >
> > The beetle race and roulette wheel (on my site) were popular
> > and generated lots of discussion.
> >
> > One example I thought would be easy actually turned out
> > quite hard in Pd - a desktop calculator (definitely an
> > advanced topic)
> >

> > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:30:09 -0500
> > "Kyle Klipowicz" <kyleklip at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Listers~
> > >
> > > I'm teaching a 1 month Summer school session for K-8 grade students and
> > > would like to include Pd for a mathematics learning tool. I am wondering
> > if
> > > anyone else has done something similar, or has any links to DSP/math
> > related
> > > materials that would be suitable for this age group. Also, if anyone is
> > > sharing their lesson plans for Pd beginners, I would love to see
> > something
> > > that I might be able to adapt for my students.
> > >
> > > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as kids often hate Summer school
> > and
> > > I want to make this a fun activity for them.
> > >
> > > ~Kyle
> > >
> > > --
> > > -----
> > > http://perhapsidid.wordpress.com