[PD] Idea for contextual menus

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 07:46:31 CEST 2008

Yo,
I just added an idea to http://puredata.info/dev/GuiIdeas and thought
I'd post it here too for discussion, since one day I may get around to
doing it (or perhaps someone else with more pd-hacking talent wants to
:) )

An object, [contextitem 1 Change colors...] would add a "Change
colors..." item to either the current canvas, the parent of the object
(when the object was right clicked), or both depending on the first
argument (0, 1, or 2 respectively). The remaining arguments would
specify the name of the context item (to allow for spaces), and the
[contextitem] object would have a single outlet which would [bang(
when the context item was clicked.

This (combined with a state-saving solution) would allow emulation of
"Properties" dialogs, and would be generally useful for embedding
functionality in tight spaces.

Cheers
Luke