[PD] ~/pd or ~/.pd for user's externals directory

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jun 16 15:46:00 CEST 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> With this release of Pd-extended, all platforms have default
> locations for user-installed externals, helpfiles, etc.  I just had a
> thought, perhaps ~/.pd would be a better directory than ~/pd.  Any
> thoughts on that?

i would rather have the configuration file(s) move into ~/.pd/
this way it is easy to add conffiles for other Pd-related stuff without
cluttering the ~ even more.

> Here's how it is now:
>
>   GNU/Linux:  /usr/share/pd and ~/pd

ouch!
according to the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHAREARCHITECTUREINDEPENDENTDATA),
this directory is reserved for "Architecture-independent data".
traditional ("C") externals do not exactly fall into this category.

fgmard
IOhannes