[PD] ~/pd or ~/.pd for user's externals directory

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 18:01:15 CEST 2008

No. Hidden home directory files traditionally have
a special meaning. They are initialisation resources.

~/.something  is a place a program will go
to look for startup options (in a particular order
after /var/something ... so that global and multi
user configs can live together)

I know some recent Linux apps have started putting userworld
resources into dot directories, but this is bad practice imho.

2c

andy.

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 11:49:53 +0200
Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> With this release of Pd-extended, all platforms have default
> locations for user-installed externals, helpfiles, etc.  I just had a
> thought, perhaps ~/.pd would be a better directory than ~/pd.  Any
> thoughts on that?
>
> Here's how it is now:
>
>   GNU/Linux:  /usr/share/pd and ~/pd
>   Mac OS X: /Library/Pd and ~/Library/Pd
>   Windows: %ProgramFiles%/Common Files/Pd and %UserProfile%/
> Application Data/Pd
>
> .hc

Use the source