[PD] ~/pd or ~/.pd for user's externals directory

Mike McGonagle mjmogo at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 19:24:41 CEST 2008

Hans,
While I don't really have any feelings about this external directory, it
would be nice to have a different properties file from what Vanilla Pd uses,
this way we can have two different setups, and they won't interfere with
each other. Currently, I have one properties file that both versions of Pd
appear to be trying to load, but because the properties file was built for
Pd-extended, loading Vanilla Pd generates errors for everything that it
tries to load, as it can't find those things.

Mike

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
wrote:

> With this release of Pd-extended, all platforms have default
> locations for user-installed externals, helpfiles, etc.  I just had a
> thought, perhaps ~/.pd would be a better directory than ~/pd.  Any
> thoughts on that?
>
> Here's how it is now:
>
>  GNU/Linux:  /usr/share/pd and ~/pd
>  Mac OS X: /Library/Pd and ~/Library/Pd
>  Windows: %ProgramFiles%/Common Files/Pd and %UserProfile%/
> Application Data/Pd
>
> .hc

Peace may sound simple—one beautiful word— but it requires everything we
have, every quality, every strength, every dream, every high ideal.
—Yehudi Menuhin (1916–1999), musician