[PD] ~/pd or ~/.pd for user's externals directory

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jun 17 11:41:48 CEST 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 8:44 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Mike McGonagle wrote:
>> Hans,
>> While I don't really have any feelings about this external
>> directory, it would be nice to have a different properties file
>> from what Vanilla Pd uses, this way we can have two different
>> setups, and they won't interfere with each other.
>
> i very much like this.
> for the linux-packages, i therefore would also ask to:
> - install into /usr/lib/pd-extended/ rather than /usr/lib/pd/
> - startup as /usr/bin/pd-extended rather than /usr/bin/pd
> - use a different settings file (e.g. ~/.pd/pd-extended.settings)
> - remove the package-conflict between pure-data and pd-extended
>

> for the user who prefers to start Pd via the menu, this will not
> change much.
>
> for the user who prefers running Pd from the console (or scripts)
> this will eventually require a change, which could be alleviated by
> using "alternatives" (man update-alternatives)

This is a separate issue.  I am talking about a common directory for
user-installed files.  Windows and Mac OS X have pretty clear folders
for this.  It gets muddy on GNU/Linux if we want the Pd-extended
packages not to conflict with user-installed Pd versions, otherwise
it should be /usr/local/lib/pd.  Or perhaps it should be:

~/pd-externals/
/usr/local/lib/pd-externals/

.hc

> fgnmasdr
> IOhannes

----

Access to computers should be unlimited and total.  - the hacker ethic