[PD] making standalone apps with Pd-extended

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Jun 17 23:57:01 CEST 2008

On Jun 17, 2008, at 9:35 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 16:03 +0200, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> I decided to spend a couple hours writing some good ol' Tcl, and I
>> seem to have made it possible to create an app based on your patch on
>> Mac OS X.  Try it out on tomorrow's nightly build, or just download
>> u_main.tk from SVN and copy it to Applications/Pd-extended.app/
>> Contents/Resources/bin/pd.tk.
>>
>> Now, I am thinking about how to make the Debian/Ubuntu version of
>> this.  I think it should be possible to have this create a .deb
>> package with the proper dependencies, including the version.  It will
>> also install preferences and a menu item so that you can launch your
>> patch from the Applications menu.  I think on Debian, it should not
>> copy the Pd-extended files at all, but instead should depend on the
>> Pd-extended package.
>>

> i am confused by your definition of 'standalone'. isn't 'standalone'
> supposed _not_ to require to be installed and _not_ to have any
> dependencies?
>
> however, i appreciate your initiative to make a standalone pd version.

I think the term "standalone" comes from Max/MSP.  Basically, the
idea only makes sense on Mac OS X.  This just makes a copy of Pd and
embeds the patch it in.  That copy then can have its own name, icon,
etc.

On Debian/Ubuntu, it makes much more sense to make a .deb that
depends on the Pd-extended .deb.

.hc

> roman

> Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://
> messenger.yahoo.de

----

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams