[PD] Lua and PD (update)

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Wed Jun 18 14:38:29 CEST 2008

On Tue, 6 May 2008, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> Yes, that works - I use Lua quite a bit for collecting values from my
> (many) GUI objects and sending them to one outlet.

Btw, GridFlow 0.9.4 introduces [receives], a tool for doing exactly that.
Else, it makes the guts of such abstractions inanely repetitive. The help
file isn't there yet, but you can see it in use in the new [#camera].

I made it because I was adding a grey-out feature in the [#camera] GUI
(because it supports 4 camera types with different feature-sets), and
thought that the guts subpatch was too full. On average, if a patch needs
scrollbars, it's too full, IMHO. I hope to introduce more shortcuts like
this in the future.

I haven't gotten into Lua yet, but whenever I have an external to make for
which I'd really have loved to use Ruby, I'll use Lua. That language never
got me excited, but then, I think I can enjoy it better than Python, and
the languages that got me excited (Ruby and Tcl) shows me that getting
excited is not so much a good sign.