[PD] Spotlight Importer for OS X

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 14:10:43 CEST 2008

Hi all,
Here's a Spotlight importer for Pd (and AFAIK .pat) files.

Starting with tonight or tomorrow's autobuild, installing it (just
double-click it) will let Spotlight look inside your Pd patches.
Also, a beneficial side-effect of a necessary change to Pd-extended's
bundle means that Pd-patches are now Quick Look-enabled (don't get
/too/ excited, it is only the plaintext representation, but still
extremely handy).  And after the importer itself gets enveloped by
Pd-extended's bundle, it will just work (no installation needed).

This version just indexes the entire text.  In the future I could add
specific metadata keys to correspond to "Pure Data Objects", "Pure
Data Messages", "Pure Data Comments", and "Pure Data [declares]",
which could then be used to construct complex Spotlight queries (but I
just learned enough Obj-C to get this far tonight so give me a while :
) ).

Hans, apparently placing it in
Pd-extended.app/Contents/Library/Spotlight will make it magically
start working the first time Pd is dragged out of its .dmg.  I don't
have a clue about building this dynamically in the autobuilds, but
since it is a Universal Binary and OS X only is it cool to add
statically?

enjoy
Luke

(by the way, you'll know you have the right Pd-extended when running
"mdls -name kMDItemContentType a-patch.pd" gives
"org.puredata.pd-patch" rather than "dyn.ah62d4rv4ge81a3a" or similar)