[PD] [PD-dev] What goes on during dsp ticks?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Jun 20 16:39:35 CEST 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, PSPunch wrote:

> I hear that malloc is a "relatively" expensive task.

It's mostly just OSX's malloc that is obscenely expensive beyond a certain
size. But that threshold is more like 16k or so. On Linux, it's 128k
instead, but if both thresholds were the same, you'd see that Linux
takes this change well, whereas OSX does not.

The threshold corresponds to when malloc switches from doing its own
memory management, to just delegating its job to the kernel.