[PD] better tabread4~

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 13:01:07 CEST 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:38:27 +0200
Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> Perhaps these could have more descriptive names, especially if there
> was a "tabread", etc. library.  Some quick ideas:
>
> [tabread_tweak~]
> [tabread_transpose~]

Hard to argue against, but I'm such a fan of Vanilla style compactness
and brevity.  :)

This may have been discussed before, but to widen the discussion...

I got thinking about a great discussion I read on music-dsp or harmony-central
(sorry can't find the ref now) about sampler design. Since , as matju points out
there's no interpolation advantage at unity pitch I remembered the hoopla
proposed to make 'one size fits all' compromise designs. The conclusions
were something indicationg that a general purpose [sampler~] (?) object would
use the approach taken by Emu or Native Instruments, selecting the best
method depending on the case.

There are maybe 5 classes, each requiring different approaches for quality
results.

No transposition - very common for drum machines etc

Very small transpositions - microtonal variations on existing
scale multisamples

Transpositions down within a fifth

Transpositions down greater than a fifth

Transpositions up

With the interpolation choices being none, linear, cubic, oversampled sinc
and several variations of decimation/resampling schemes.

I'm not sure where 'very small' transpositions fit into that, aren't
they actually a difficult case?

When people talk about the 'sound quality' of Pd I suspect they are more
casual musical users who largely do sample based work. It would be
great to have a whole suite of [tabreadX~] for the programmers. But for
more casual users I think extended might greatly benefit from a 'just works'
[sampler~] object. You could give it arguments along the lines of polyphony,
outputs etc... It could even do multi-sample (with many tables). Add that
to a file reader [soundfiler-kontakt] or [soundfiler-akai] to automatically
generate the tables for [sampler~] and Pd would become quite attractive
to a larger user base I think.

a.

--
Use the source