[PD] better tabread4~

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Mon Jun 23 13:32:46 CEST 2008

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:18:11 +0200
Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

> This compactness only really helps speed up the typing of code.  It
> hinders the reading of code and the learning of code.  Plus it means
> that us mere mortals, who cannot remember what "c" in [tabread4c~]
> means, it means we have to constantly ride the reference pages rather
> than just writing code.
>
> Trading all this for typing a few less keystrokes seems to me a very
> bad deal.  Apparently, people who use Smalltalk, Java, Python, Ruby,
> Obj-C and even sometimes C++ seem to agree.

Can't disagree with any of that. You're absolutely right.

I have had rather a special case interest in compact code - writing
the sound design book. Many diagrams would have been impossible
to typeset or fit onto a page if Pd used long object names.

You might think "Ah heck, what difference a few characters makes?!"
But when you multiply that by 20, 30, 40 objects in a patch the
real-estate issues get quite tough. I've spent hours refactoring
and shuffling patches about to make them presentable.

--
Use the source