[PD] better tabread4~

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jun 23 16:26:14 CEST 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 2:58 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 14:35 +0200, Steffen Juul wrote:
>> On Mon, June 23, 2008 2:17 pm, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>
>>> the only good reason to keep [tabread4~] in pd is to keep backwards
>>> compatibility with patches that exploit [tabread4~]'s wierd
>>> behaviour,
>>> imo.
>>
>> Witch is a good enough reason to keep it, imho.
>
> i wasn't proposing to deprecate it, but i was only saying, it is the
> _only_  reason to keep it i can think of.

"tabread4~" isn't such a great name that it should be used for the
new one.  Why not use a more descriptive name for the new one?  Also,
changing the code of tabread4~ will change the sound quality of a
piece.  I think it is very important to keep the same sound quality
since many people have spent a lot of time building patches around
tabread4~ and like the way those patches sound.

----

All mankind is of one author, and is one volume; when one man dies,
one chapter is not torn out of the book, but translated into a better
language; and every chapter must be so translated.... -John Donne