[PD] Installing Extended on Ubuntu/Debian [WAS: Re: [PD-announce] Proof Me! PD FLOSS Manual]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 24 11:50:07 CEST 2008

Derek Holzer wrote:
> Hi IOhannes,
>
> just getting back around to these edits..
>
> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> Installing:
>>
>> i find it highly confusing that  the "Installing Pure Data on Debian"
>> (and ubuntu) does not mention in a single word that you could just run
>> "aptitude install puredata"
>
> Does this install PD Extended?

no it installs vanilla Pd.

> The manual is aimed at Extended rather

this is news to me, as i nowhere found a reference to that.

the "InstallingOSX" sections explicitely tells you how to install
pd-vanilla, and only later goes for Pd-extended. it doesn't tell the
user anywhere that they are expected to use Pd-extended if they want to
follow the tutorials.

all other installation-instructions seem to imply Pd-extended, but
nowhere say so.
instead they refer to millers homepage (where you would get pd-vanilla),
and refer to version-used-for-this-installation "0.39-3" which might
have substantial differences between Pd and PdX.

at the very least i would suggest:
- use "0.39-3-extended" as the version string
- clarify for OSX users that they should actually install Pd-extended.
(on my wishlist would be to make the os-x install instructions to be of
the same quality as for the other OSs)

oh...i just saw that someone already (derek?) already submitted an
"standardized" version of InstallingOSX, but it is not visible yet to
the public. probably it is still "pending"?

fmgas
IOhannes