[PD] better tabread4~

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 00:00:22 CEST 2008

I disagree entirely with the trend of this discussion towards naming
or methods to choose an interpolation method.

 We need not get ahead of ourselves, when we don't even know if it's a
"better tabread" (like the name of this discussion).  Let's make sure
this thing is solid and finds good usage before expanding the
tabread4~ code with extra methods.

It's nice to have descriptive names for the different interpolation
schemes, but there is a big difference for naming them according to
what they do or how they're used, as Matju said.  I see no problem
with shortening the names, because it's not practical to name these
things concisely, e.g.  "tabread4_continuous_first_derivative~" or
"tabread4_anti_aliasing~"

So, what's wrong with tabread4c~ or tabread4a~?  plenty of
alternatives, but really, this is short and memorable, while keeping
with the notion that these are small differences from the original
tabread4~

I think it's best to consider making a library of tabread4~
alternatives, and later consider moving the different interpolation
schemes to tabread4~ methods, if it's worth-while.

Chuck