[PD] better tabread4~

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 25 00:06:39 CEST 2008

bsoisoi wrote:
> I agree, being able to specify interpolation via an inlet message would
> be great (from my users perspective).

hmm, i am not totally convinced (but actually don't care) as this leads
to bloated objects which can just do everything and you specify what
they should do via parameters. why do we have objects then?

> That's what always bugged me about Reaktor's table object, you have to
> right-click on the table in the setup and enable interpolation manually,
> which to me is the equivalent and equally annoying to  specifying a
> different object in Pd.  If you have many of these in your app hunting
> is not very fun.

anyhow, now for something constructive:
you can always create an abstraction [tabread_tweaked~] that is like

[inlet~]

[tabread~ $1]

[outlet~]

and use this abstraction.
if you later decide that you do want interpolation just make the
abstraction to be like

[inlet~]

[tabread4~ $1]

[outlet~]

et voila.

you could argue that then you would have to think of the variability
beforehand; bit you would have to do this as well if you are using
messages (unless you are up to hunting all the [tabread~] in your patch
to add the special message)

fgmasdr
IOhannes