[PD] worldwide weather forecast into PD

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 15:02:33 CEST 2008

Jack(e)k dio:

> Le 25 juin 08 à 10:59, altern a écrit :
>
>> hi
>>
>> anyone knows of an online worldwide forecast service? I am developing
>> some python scripts with Pyext external that retrieve different type of
>> data from the net into PD.
>>
>> At the moment i have been using yahoo weather, this is quite handy
>> because they have RSS feed that can be easily manipulated from python
>> and returned into PD.
>>
>> Currently i have scripts that tell me the external IP of my computer and
>>   another one that uses the IP to retrieve geolocation data (lat, long,
>> nearby city, country ), using this i think i should be able to ask yahoo
>> for weather data of an specific city and country and from there access
>> the RSS.
>>
>> However I think there are some copyright issues with yahoo weather. I
>> read a notice in the HTML source of yahoo weather saying that this data
>> is not to be used without permission
>> " ...You are prohibited from using or repurposing this data in any way
>> without express written consent from Yahoo! ..."
> It seems to be a sort of blabla from Yahoo.
> I think if you don't make business, there is no problem.
> The only problem i know with yahoo is that they can prohibit your access
> to their website after several requests during 1 days (with your IP).
> I often 'hacked' the yahoo financial site for an installation using PHP,
> MySQL and PD. I never had judicial problem. (i was living in france and
> take data from US yahoo financial website).

ok, so one has to be careful with not overloading them

> You can use also www.accuweather.com. I use this site to make a small
> install (in real time) with datas using the wind and temperature. I
> never had problem.
> ++

thanks for the link, i am at the minute testing BBC weather, i can send
a form witih the name of the city i am interested in and then parse the
resulting page to get the ID. This works fine, i am now trying to parse
the XML data. The "only" issue with this is if there are several cities
with the same name, it offers you several choices, currently i am going
for the first one.

enrike