[PD] worldwide weather forecast into PD

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Wed Jun 25 19:00:25 CEST 2008

Hey there,

Are you using the data for a performance or installation?

I used live weather data (from an APRS packet radio gateway) parsed from
a website.

It was the worst mistake I made.

The installation ran for a couple years but had four problems:

1. The format of the webpage changed, I rewrote it.

2. The power went down.

3. The power went down again.

4. The website went down.

Now I know not to depend on any external infrastructure.

Using your own weather station would be very stable (they are not as
expensive as they sound). Or perhaps there is some more stable way to
get at the APRS data than a website.

APRS is nice because there are hundreds of weather stations all over the
world, are interlinked by packet radio network. The problem in my case
was the internet gateway.

.b.