[PD] pd extended and X11

Derek Holzer derek at umatic.nl
Thu Jun 26 13:48:54 CEST 2008

Is this correct, that GEM now needs X11? Or is it still just PDP? If so,
then I'll need to update the FLOSS Manual when 0.40 becomes the current
stable Extended release.

Is there any reason for this, by the way? I always recommend GEM over
PDP because a) it's better documented and b) it doesn't require extra
software to be installed...

best,
D.

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> Good idea, I updated the included Readme and the FAQ entry:
>
> http://puredata.info/docs/faq/macosx
>
> .hc
>
> On Jun 26, 2008, at 12:14 PM, Nicolas Montgermont wrote:
>
>> Hi hans & list,
>>
>> I've seen that the installation of the X11 user package is
>> necessary to
>> run GEM under osx with the last 0.40-3 RC2 pd extended.
>> I was wondering if it's possible to explicite that on the installers
>> pages (http://at.or.at/hans/pd/installers.html and in the near
>> future :
>> http://puredata.info/downloads).
>>
>> As pd-extended is very useful for beginners, I think it can be
>> difficult
>> for some of them to understand the printed error in the pd console.
>>
>> Maybe a line as:
>>
>> To run GEM and other graphical applications, you need to install
>> X11 first.
>>
>> would be a clear and simple indication.
>> A link as this one
>> http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/10/22/how-to-install-x11-in-os-x/
>>
>> could also be helpy.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> Nicolas

> ----
>
> Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
> related to the telescope.      -Edsger Dykstra

derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl ::: http://blog.myspace.com/macumbista
---Oblique Strategy # 127:
"Openly resist change"