[PD] more eee trouble (on xandros)

Kevin McCoy km.takewithyou at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 14:42:09 CEST 2008

Potax,

How did you install pd-extended without installing tk?  Hans, isn't it
a dependency that has to be met for the package to be installed?

Potax, did you enable Debian repositories as per the wiki on
eeeuser.com?  I'd find the link but it seems the site has some
downtime right now.  Are you in easy mode or advanced mode in Xandros?

If you're in easy mode, do a CTRL+ALT+T to bring up the terminal, and type in

sudo synaptic

When you press enter, you'll be prompted for your password, after
which the synaptic package manager will load.  Do a search for "libtk"
or "tk" and look for something called libtk"whatever" that is at least
version 8.4.

This is the general idea for installing programs on Linux -
programmers save themselves work by borrowing from "libraries" written
by other people to make their job easier so they don't have to write
as much code.  The hardest part used to be tracking down and
installing all the libraries just to get your one program working.
Now it's much easier with the Debian/Ubuntu system of packages.

Hypothetically speaking say you want to have some dinner because you
worked up a hunger learning Linux.  You tell Xandros "I want some
dinner!" and it says "wait wait, my young potax, before you can have
your dinner I have to get you the peas, the carrots, the tofu, and the
lemonade.  Only then will your dinner be truly functional and
delicious."  All you care about at this point is your dinner, but the
synaptic package manager runs the errands for you.

So to summarize, you're missing the lemonade.  Run synaptic and get yo
self some tk lemonade.

km

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 7:05 AM, potax flan <potaxpotax at gmail.com> wrote:
> so how do i install tk?
> thanks
>

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 12:40 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like you are missing Tk (aka libtk).  you will definitely need that
>> if you want to see the GUI.  It should now run without the GUI like this:
>> pd -nogui
>> .hc
>> On Jun 27, 2008, at 4:59 AM, potax flan wrote:
>>
>> hi
>> im trying to install extended using hans' deb package and xandros (i know
>> ubuntu and debian are better but i do wanna keep this)
>> when i launch pd from the terminal i get:
>> /usr/lib/pd/bin/pd-gui: error while loading shared libraries:
>> libtk8.4.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or
>> directory
>>
>> am i missing a library?
>> how to fix it?
>> thanks