[PD] getting started with webcam/pdp

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Jun 28 11:45:40 CEST 2008

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>
>> You could pull out the pidip.pd_linux and use it with a different
>> version of Pd-extended.
>
> Ok, I downloaded, patched and compiled pdp succesfully, however the
> problem is still there (pd crashes when trying to use the webcam in pdp).
>
> However (begin new to video) I discovered that GEM also has some video
> processing stuff. Would that be a way to go? What *can't* I do in GEM
> that would be possible either pdp?

loads of things...well, i don't know; i would ask the question the other
way around: does Gem/pdp/gf/... can do everything you want?

anyhow, the good thing is that there is gem2pdp (and vice versa) bridge,
so you can combine the powers of the various libs.

> Finally the image has distorted colors (skin is blue, for instance) when
> used under GEM. I tried the cam in other software (for instance skype)
> and it's fine. Any ideas what to do about this?

hmm, do i remember which version of Gem you are talking about?

apart from this:
- simple solution; use [pix_colormatrix] to rotate the colourspace till
the channels match (red=red, green=green, blue=blue)
- non-portable solution: in line Pixes/videoV4L.cpp:160 change the
fromBGRA() to frmRGBA() and recompile Gem.

fmgasdr
IOhannes